The thirst for novelty and entertainment was always forcing people to move to the inviting lights of excitement. It has become easily available with the invention of the Internet. That is why the Inter net industry of online games and entertainment is the most actively growing market. This is the market which grows 30% of revenue annually and brings from 20 to 30 billion dollars per year. It covers about 40% of Internet users. And this is just a beginning.
“World of Warcraft is a fascinating world of legends, magic and a truly epic adventure. Join in and write your name in history”
So we are invited to join the vast world of online games which currently includes nearly 200 million MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) active users all over the world. For example, World of Warcraft (WoW), the most popular MMOG, has more than 11 million subscribers world-wide as on March 2011. In this case, WoW generated about $2 billion in annual revenue.
There are other facts about online games:
- As of September 27th 2011, the total number of social games on Facebook (CityVille, The Sims Social, Adventure World, etc.) is over 3 000
- The most popular online flash game Angry Birds costed only $140 000 to create and has already generated $70 million
- The App Store includes over 100 000 games
- At that moment there are over 500 famous massively multiplayer online games (MMOG) on the web (World of Warcraft, Rift: Planes of Telara, EVE Online, AdventureQuest worlds, League of Legends, Shaiya)
What is Online Game?
Online game is a usual computer game using the Internet connection for gameplay.
A massively multiplayer online game (a.k.a. MMOG or simply MMO) is a type of online game that enables thousands of players at the same time to interact in a game world they are connected to the Internet. Usually this kind of game is played in a multiplayer-only virtual world.
But MMOG is not only the game because it always has tools (forums, blogs, chatrooms, etc.) to facilitate communication between players and to create virtual community about gameplay. Many MMOGs offer support for in-game guilds or clans.
There are some types of online games:
- Browser games. Browser games come in many genres and flavors. These games do not need to be downloaded because players only use a web browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, etc.) for game play and nothing else. The development of web-based graphics technologies such as Flash, Unity3D and Java allowed browser games to become more complex and attractive;
- Social games. Social games have quickly taken a nice niche in the online game industry because they can be played casually on the top social network sites such as Facebook and MySpace and also because these games can attract large number of players very quickly;
- Client online games. In order to play the client-game you need to install a special client-software on your computer. Advantage of this type of game is a wider range of opportunities offered to the player, and perfect graphical user interface. Disadvantage is that you need to install a special software as well as to pay for - most games require the client fee.
- Mobile games. A mobile game is a video game application played on a mobile phone, smartphone, PDA, handle computer or portable media player. Most mobile games are single player mobile games with artificially intelligent opponents and possibility of Multiplayer functionality via 3G, Wi-Fi, GPRS, Bluetooth. There are "community" based games where players use their cell phones to access a community website where they can play browser-based games with thousands of players
There are some genres of online games:
- First-person shooter games. It is a game genre that centers the gameplay on a gun and views weapon-based combat through first-person perspective where the player experiences the action through the eyes of the main person. The most popular games are: Doom, Quake , Half-Life, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein
- Real-time strategy games (RTS) is a genre of strategy video game which does not progress incrementally in turns. In the real-time strategy games all the movements, construction and researches take place in the real time. These types of games often provide you with a bird’s eye view so that you can control and monitor your units and structures effectively. Many real-time strategy games now have multiplayer options that allow you to wage war over the Internet. The most popular games are: Age of Empires III, WarCraft III: Reign of chaos, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Company of Heroes
- Role-playing game (RPG). It is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. The most popular games are: Diablo 2, Mythos, Tibia , Evony
- MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons) are a class of multi-user real-time virtual worlds. MUDs were the direct predecessors of MMORPG. Most MUDs are text-based, and usually offer more depth than their MMO cousins. Furthermore, a large majority of MUDs are free.
- Online virtual worlds (such as Second Life) is virtual world with elements of social network where residents through their avatars can explore the world, meet other residents, socialize, participate in individual and group activities, and create and trade virtual items and services with one another. Virtual world usually has an internal economy and internal currency, which can be used to buy, sell, rent or trade land or goods and services with other users
- Massively multiplayer online game (MMOG) has hundreds of thousands players who can play the same game together through the Internet. There are many different styles of massively multiplayer games:
- MMORPG (Massively multiplayer online role-playing game). It is the most popular type of MMOG. MMORPG, the largest and the most important segment of online games, is now at the turning point of its development after decades of evolution.
- MMORTS (Massively multiplayer online real-time strategy)
- MMOFPS (Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter)
- MMOSG (Massively multiplayer online social game)
The most popular games are: World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Ultima Online, Age of Conan, EVE Online
In the classic version MMORPG is divided into following styles of play:
- PvE — Player versus Environment. The game is built on relationships "Player-World." With the help of interaction with the gaming environment player improves his own character and progresses the storyline.
- PvP — Player versus Player. The game is built on relationships "player-player" where the leading role is played by communication factor, confrontation and exchange game items for players.
- PvE / PvP — it combines the features of two the above styles. It is a basic scheme for constructing the modern MMORPG.
- RvR — Realm versus Realm. It is Organization of players in the clan vs. another (sometimes random) in the struggle for resources, games and /or city of the enemy.
- PvPvE — Player versus Player versus Environment. The game is built on relationships "player-player" with the intervention of a non-game third party for keeping the balance of the parties.
- PvMP - Player versus Monster Player The game is built on relationships "player-player" but one team of players plays on the Monster side.
The concept of online games includes several principles that could lead this type of online entertainment to such a great success. The main emphasis is in long-term gameplay. This is not Half-Life 2 that you can play over totally for a day.
The main advantage of online gaming is a large-scale gameplay that involves a long time period and can not be completely exhausted. Unlike regular games where players can save and go about their business and then return and continue the game, the world of MMORPG takes all the time and their life. As a result, not a game depends on the player, but gamer becomes addicted to the game. Players spend much time in the fantasy of the virtual world and they have an illusion of common values, ideas and goals. And for the achieving of their goals they are ready to spend money to improve their characters, cities, worlds.
There are some types of MMO revenues:
- Some MMORPGs require payment of a monthly subscription to play.
- Subscription of extra-membership without restrictions
- Ability of players to sell an item to each other for in-game (virtual) currency.
- Bartering for items between players for items of similar value.
- Purchase of in-game items for real-world currency.
- Exchange of real-world currencies for virtual currencies.
- Invention of player-created content to distribute in-game rewards
Development of Online Game
Before creation of a new online game first you must answer the following questions:
- What is the basic idea of the game?
- How will you receive revenue?
- What is the technology of the game? (mobile devices, web browser, client for PC or Mac)?
- What is the budget for development?
- What is the audience of the game?
- Do you plan to make a 2D or 3D game?
Making a game includes a lot of work (except for Pong and Tetris). This is especially true for MMORPG. That is why it is necessary to understand clearly their capabilities and requirements. Though producing a game such as World of Warcraft is an intricate and long time problem, but making a decent game is possible provided that you have a professional team, motivation and time. You will need over 1000 hours of programming to have a simple MMOG that will allow you to attract a lot of new customers and subscribers. The cost of developing a competitive commercial MMORPG item often exceeds $10 million (but it is worth it).
These projects require multiple disciplines within game design and development such as 3D modeling, 2D art, animation, user interfaces, client/server engineering, database architecture and network infrastructure.
The front-end (or client) component of MMOG features 3D graphics. The front-end requires expertise with implementing 3D engines, real-time shader techniques and physics simulation. The actual visual content (areas, creatures, characters, weapons, spaceships and so forth) is developed by artists who typically begin with two-dimensional concept art and later convert these concepts into animated 3D scenes, models and texture maps.
Developing an MMOG server requires expertise with client/server architecture, network protocols, security, and database design. MMOGs include reliable systems for a number of vital tasks. The server must be able to handle and verify a large number of connections, prevent cheating, and apply changes (bug fixes or added content) to the game.
As you can see, only professional team can implement the development of MMOG.
What We Offer
Our company has wide and extensive knowledge and great experience in 3D graphic and games and offers the following:
- To generate the original idea of online game (mobile, web browser or client) for you
- Professional analysis of business plan and business requirements of online game
- Professional 3D Developers and Artists (see our 3D services page )
- To create fantastic 3D model of characters, landscapes and environments
- To implement any 3D or 2D multiuser games and online browser games
- SEO and maintenance of online games